Saturday, February 11, 2012

Week 5 – Halfway Through, Still Learning with Joy

             Speaking about what I have learnt and done this week, I do not know what to begin with.. So many ideas...
             First of all I started solving my problem of lack of time with my Stylistics class, which was another step to the final project and better education. Students got interested in the idea of blogs and are looking forward to reading and commenting on each other’s ideas concerning the subject. So am I! This week my students are being busy creating their blogs, next week will bring the first experience.
             One more thing I would borrow from my Webskills course is the Nicenet conference. Our university has a number of part-time students. Most of them live in villages somewhere in Pavlodar region and work as teachers. They come twice a year for three weeks to pass their exams. Both students and teachers are dissatisfied with the lack of time as students are part-time. I think the idea of a Nicenet conference could work with such students. Though I will have to think about motivation, of course, because even in our highly motivated group there are days no one would post.
              Still another thing was this Rubistar site. It was really a kind of revelation for me!!! When I first got on it, I thought it was not good at all, and that was the first and the last thing I was working with it, just to meet the requirement of the course - because I could not have the number of columns I wished to have. Furious, I could not understand why I had to give the maximum of four points each time. I was wrong about the site. It is wonderful!!! It is pretty easy to work with and time-saving, which is really important for a busy teacher (or a lazy mind :)! As a result, I changed everything in my original rubric - added one more column, changed my criteria places, having the most important from my point of view at the top, changed the names of my criteria and the content of each one. Now I am sure I will some back to Rubistar many times!
             And the last, but not the least, is PBL! While I knew a lot about projects and problem-based education, and used them from time to time in my teaching EFL practice, WebQuests were something new for me. I have asked both the most progressive-minded colleagues and students, no one had heard about WebQuests before. They would ask, ‘What is it?’ And then, ‘It sounds interesting!’ I liked the idea of WebQuests, though their creation seems a challenging task I have not coped with so far, but I do not leave the idea. Hope I manage to make a WebQuesr of my own till the end of the course.
             And then, of course, I cannot imagine my Week 5 without my ‘virtual’ friends and colleagues – some expressed my ideas in a more clear  way, some would find kind words for me, some would understand what I mean, some would sincerely be glad for what I did, some would add constructive comments, some would share my ideas, still would have their own point of view, and still some would discuss. THANK YOU!!!
             I know all of us had a tough week – have a nice weekend and good luck in Week 6!!!
   
                                                        
                                            
                                                                   

15 comments:

  1. Hi Yuliya,

    Really it was a tough week; for me really tough. But I like your way of sharing & caring. However, You've been talking about Webquest, Yes its a new to me as well. One thing I must appreciate that the idea of using nicenet for your part-time distant students. I think you can do well :) you have that potential. Again, waiting to see your webquest.

    Arifeen/ Bangladesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Yuliya,

    I like your way of narrating the events of this week!! I agree this week is really challenging!! It examines our patience, thinking and creativity. I am still having a problem with the webquest but I will hopefully solve the problem and manage composing my webquest. We do really need this challenge so that we work out for solutions. Thank you for your time!

    Salam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Yulia,

    Your comments on the blog and on the Nicenet have been really thought provoking and leading. Hope our hard work will really yield benefits for our students !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Yuliya,

    This week was very challenging for me as well and I'm still not savvy with webquest either. I'm going to be hard on myself so that I'll learn quicker about these new sites.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nur,
      I have finished the draft of my first Webquest at last!!! Tired, but proud of myself!!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Yuliya,
    Every week, I wait for your comments and reflections and also the nice pics that put. The problem of lack of time is one that gives me headache and I wish I could overcome time management problem too. I liked the ideas that you share here about borrowing from the Nicenet conference ideas in your work,and I like the idea that this Rubistar site was really a kind of revelation for you, actually to most if not all of us. The idea of virtual friends, is great and I hope it will last forever with our dear instructors. Good Luck to us all.
    Hesham,
    Egypt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yuliya,
    Actually the only thing I didn't like about Rubistar site was not being able to create new columns or delete columns but I just read your blog and I'm very eager to know how you managed to do it.
    Perhaps you can share with me?!

    Thanks in advance :),
    Sylvia, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely I will be glad to help, Sylvia! Please go to the Nicenet "Week 5: Rubrics" conference, read my comments for Ludmila and Vijay, I have explained there. If you have more questions, you could write to my e-mail.

      Delete
  7. Dear Yuliya,

    It sure was a hectic week, but again you made it!

    I just want to congratulate you on your high spirit and positive attitude which clearly show in every single post and comment you make. I personally, have learned a lot from your perseverance and critical eye.

    My next endeavor is sailing into my own WebQuest, relying on your experience and your technical and moral support.

    Thank you,

    Hassan, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Yuliya,

    Congratulation on your great success of not only responding to the task with so much energy and vigor but also writing such a wonderful reflection.

    I can really relate with you in regard to making rubric. When I started making rubric I also felt that it is quite difficult to understand the initial process but as it happened with you I also quite loved it once I completed making the rubric. I was thinking that can I not make it with the help of excel but I suddenly realize the whole point is not the format itself rather sharing it with the other teachers.

    Regards

    Farid/ Bangladesh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Yuliya

    It is great you managed how to fruitfully make use of this course for the benefit of your students. I do also agree with you that Rubistar.com is among the wonderful things this course has offered us so far.
    Best

    Sidi, Morocco

    ReplyDelete