Friday, February 17, 2012

Week 6: Busy As A Bee


             This week I am keeping my log, which is not an easy task to do, because I do not like all this diary-keeping routine, but I clearly understand I have to do it, so that not to forget when and what I did. I also started introducing my students to the technology involving changes.  But I did this not to one group as was asked, but to two groups (this part is for myself, a kind of a control group; I still have one more group, and they will be taught the same subject traditionally, without any changes), one is the group I had wanted to work with from the very beginning (when we had to describe the audience), and another is a small group of four students of English Philology. I practiced my PP presentation and the technology enhanced class with them, because we have a special lab with four computers only and I could arrange our having classes there, each student having a computer.
        This week’s task for my students was to create their blog on yvision.kz (this is a free site for Kazakhstany bloggers, they write in Russian there, but we will in English) and share the URLs with each other and me. I gave my students (the part of the project group) printed instructions on how to create a blog (as I had no opportunity to this on-line at the university). Meanwhile I also got successfully registered on the site and created a closed community to add all my students there, because they sounded rather shy when they asked me if I would make comments on what they would write and everyone else would read.  And… I am still waiting for my students’ URLs, because they got registered, but did not manage to get their final account approval link (none of them, which sounds unbelievable!). Meanwhile the group of four students who are not in the project got successfully registered on the site, and started posting (this was not the task for the week, but they were told they would have to this starting with the next week) and commenting! They went further on, because one of them created a closed community, and I had to ask her to accept me in it, and wait for several days, because the student was pressed for time to reach the Internet.
            And then this week I was much busy with PP presentation. Power Point was not  something new to me, I have been using it for some time now both in class with my English students, and at home, with my child. However, my PP presentations rarely contained something more than linear quizzes or slideshows. This week was my first attempt to create 1) an interactive PP presentation 2) for a lecture. Something that sounded quite easy took almost all the week, but at last it is ready, used, re-vised, and published on the Wiki. The class was really better than it had been without PP! As Val says, any class with a bad PP is better than a class without a PP at all!
            Happy to meet the deadline, I wish all my ‘webmates’ a happy weekend!

                                                                               
                                           

9 comments:

  1. Hi Yuliya !
    You seem to be learning greatly from the course and you are doing great job with students. I also learned a lot of things about Interactive PowerPoint this week. I liked the software very well and I think there’s still too much to learn about using it. I also hope you a happy weekend with your family .
    Regards
    Sidi, Morocco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have started implementing what you've read and put it into practice.Encourage your students to participate and get involved in this project,specially the shy or week ones.The minute they are engaged ,I think the learning will be fun.Keep the good work and wish you all the luck.

      Delete
  2. Hi again Yuliya,
    Really we were as busy as bees but even followed by other motivated bees and a lot of hardworking bees too. I like the ideas that you shared and I agree with you.It is very nice that you have already started to engaged your student in work, and good luck and thank you for the presentation you shared and the ideas you shared about presentations.
    Hesham,
    Egypt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Yuliya,

    I can see you really have been busy as a bee. I liked your idea of applying the learning from the course beyond its expectation. I specially found idea of using closed community as none of us wants to let our classrooms filled with people, student or non-students, does not know the purpose of the course, who has no clear understanding of the course and who does not value what is going on classroom. So, the same thing should happen in online to protect the 'sanctity', if I may such a strong word, of the classroom.

    I really hope that Wordpress has option of closed community as my class blog is in Wordpress. I can't agree with you more on interactive Power Point is best of all the simple option available to make the learning interactive and most importantly learner friendly.

    Regards
    Farid/ Bangladesh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yuliya,

    I'm sorry you don't care for the "diary-keeping routine"! :) I love your posts and hearing what you've learned, though. I think it's great that you're taking your project to another level in comparing the test group with the control group. That's great you can do this. I had to laugh that you seemed to be having better success with the group that it wasn't planned for! All that can be good information to include in your project when you write it up.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yuliya,
    Its Ruki from Sri Lanka. Yes, it getting hectic, but the E course is getting very interesting and informative too. I'm sure all of us will be more productive as teachers, as a result of taking this course.
    I'm sure it was challenging directing your class to do their own blogs. I still haven't been that brave to venture out to utilize technology. Also, I agree with you on the benefits of introducing power points. As you so correctly point out, all of us have been using power points for a while; but the challenge is to make the pp interactive, in order to succeed in achieving learning outcomes.
    On a personal note, it was a last week was for me. My yahoo email was hacked and I was unable to access my account for a couple of days. i was so lost without my regular email.Now I'm desperately trying to catch up with assignments for week 6, so I don't get left behind in the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruki,
      I feel sorry for what happened with your e-mail.Hacking a yahoo mail is weird to me, and I know more about the blocking of mail that happened with me several times!
      Were you able to finish your assignments on time?
      Wishing you the best.

      Delete
  6. Hi Yulia,
    Wonderful Comparison! Let me add something: everyday,the class gets as busy as a bee hive with lots of duties to fulfill and interaction to enjoy!
    It's great news that you start using the technology efficiently. I can sense the motivation of your students during PP.
    Wishing you the best and for your students as well.
    Regards,
    Nihmat, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete