Thursday, January 12, 2012

Good Quotes on Education

                 This week Sherie asked us about a quotation or saying to post while introducing ourselves.  I posted one quotation I like, but thinking about quotations made me recollect some other quotations I also like. As these are about education, maybe someone will comment and discuss them with me. By the way, I think what I am doing now – posting a quote and asking the readers to comment – will be a nice way of using a blog in my class ;)  
                - To the uneducated, an A is just three sticks.  ~A.A. Milne
                - Education should be exercise; it has become massage.  ~Martin H. Fischer
               - The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.  ~Sydney J. Harris
                I took these qoutations from www.quotegarden.com/education.html
                There are also good ones on http://www.ntlf.com/html/lib/quotes.htm  

5 comments:

  1. Yulia,
    I also think that using quotations is great. They make our speech richer and help us exactly express our opinion. We can use them in any situation as an evidence of the correctness of what we explain. Besides quotations and sayings teach us many things related to any side of life. For example, saying “Practice makes perfect” encourages one not to be disappointed but try hard and achieve his or her goal step by step.
    As for your quotations about education, each one has its value. The first one implies that an ignorant person never can understand the importance of learning without trying to study. The second one means that education should be diverse, i.e. include many teaching and learning methods, modern, newly found and challenging but never be routine. And the last one defines the purpose of education in an original way. I understand it in such way: education raises a man from ignorance to high level of intelligence.
    I’ve also found some quotations on http://www.etni.org.il/quotes/education.htm and I liked them. I cited them below:
    "Who dares to teach must never cease to learn."
    -- John Cotton Dana
    "Good teachers are those who know how little they know. Bad teachers are those who think they know more than they don't know."
    -- R. Verdi
    "Education is not the answer to the question. Education is the means to the answer to all questions."
    -- William Allin
    Reading them one can realize that there are no obstacles for person to learn, he himself who creates them.

    Zarifa, Uzbekistan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zarifa,
      Thanks for your quotations and the link! I think I will use all of these with my students!
      Yuliya

      Delete
  2. Hello Yulia,
    I'd like to wish first happy blogging. Your blog seems very attractive. Adding inspirational quotes about education to your blog seems to be an excellent idea. Thanks for the links. I wonder if more quotes could be added about other topics than education. Just for fun!
    Regards,
    Nihmat, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nihmat!
    I will try more quotes! You are also welcome to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yuliya,

      Brilliant quotes! Learning is the key to success! keep learning till you die because you can value every second you spend in learning! Thank you!

      Salam

      Delete