Friday, January 20, 2012

Week 2 - If You Always Do, What You've Always Done, You'll Always Be What You've Always Been - Josh McDowell

           Week 2
           Wow, I am still enjoying the course and learning a lot, though all this is going to be addictive, I am constantly checking on new posts in conferences and waiting for e-mail from Jodi, during Week 1 I felt scary (I cannot say why) each time I saw a new letter from Jodi and Sherie. It turned out I got used to their letters and miss them a lot…
           Thanks to the instructors and my fellow colleagues I have known a lot of new things – unlike everyone I believe I started with the ABCD learning objective. Nice thing to use. I suppose it is always a problem with teachers to see the goal and the objectives of their course and make them clear to their students. I have met a lot of teachers who do not know the goal of their course to say nothing of the objectives. Personally I have never heard about the ABCD model, in our country they say we should have a goal and divide it into several objectives, but no one cares about explaining what a goal is, and we never discussed with my colleagues whether our goals are good or bad, clear or not clear. Now I know what makes a good clear objective. By the way, thanks to Hassan’s post in the conference I also read about the SMART(ER) model, and tried to find what other model exist, but, unfortunately I had no time to have a good search.
            Speaking about the search brings me to the topic of search engines. Of course I knew there exist some other engines, but none of my acquaintances use other than Google. Now I know great many search engines, and which is more, I have saved the ‘Noodle List’ on my computer, and which is still more important, I am already using other engines for my web search! That’s great! And I am reading from www.tenbyten.com a lot. Some other useful search engines I have found include www.altavista.com (much similar to Google and Yahoo), www.dogpile.com (contains handy bookmarks/rubrics – I do not know what word you use to call them), www.askjeeves.com (the key of the search is a sentence; first I thought I could practice sentences with students using this search engine, but if you question is grammatically incorrect, the site will still give out the correct results), and www.britannica.com. I appreciated the help of you, guys, in appreciating and ranking all these search engines from the ‘Noodles’ link. Without you I would not have managed to check everything in this long list during one week! Thank’s a lot.
           And the last thing that I have never done before was thinking and writing about my class. I have already taught this group in the Fall Semester, but when I started describing the group, it turned out I knew not many things. Like between them and me there was a glass wall. Now I believe this Webskills course will break the wall between me and my students!!!
  - This is me ;))

          Have a nice weekend!!!!





11 comments:

  1. hi there , this is kouassi .just want to say that i am glad to read your interesting posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yuliya,
    I can't agree with you more regarding goal setting in our part of the world. Since we are share the same educational traditions, I allowed myself to use "we", hope you don't mind. Yes, we do set goals, specify objectives and tasks (at least this is required from us), but they are seldom described in practical terms, and, thus, can't fulfill their role. I also agree that talking with students is important. I started practicing that back in 1996, after training in London, and I find this practice rewarding. I "lose" one hour at the beginning of the term, but then I seldom have any frictions during the term, and my students show better results.

    Thanks also for describing the links you've explored.

    Have a nice weekend,

    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val!!!
      Of course I do not mind your 'we'. I also 'lose' one hour on goals-objectives and the stuff like that, but I have always felt that there was something wrong about my objectives :(

      Delete
  3. Hello Yuliya,

    Very happy to read you wonderful words! When I read your posts I feel that I am reading poetry because you use strong and effective words. I agree with you with the idea of learning from this course. Thank you very much for your extraordinary work.
    Have nice day!
    Salam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yuliya,
    I agree that the ABCD goals teaches us to be focused in our lesson in order to gain measurable learning outcome at the end of each class. This ensures that the learners are gradually learning and the syllabus can be completed. That's just my two cents.
    Cheers to week 2!
    Nur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yuliya,
    I also liked the ABCD objectives, they turn out to be very effective, if you learn to write them correctly. And I think I'll also save the Noodle list on my computer, thanks for a wonderful idea!
    Ludmila, Moldova

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yulia,
    It always gives me great pleasure to read your posts and your reflections. Your words are like a puss forward to fill everybody with enthusiasm to work harder. Your ideas either here or on the discussion board are so motivating. Even the picture that you added shows that you are workaholic, take care friend of addicting projects :). I like your idea that setting the goals and explaining them is essential.The search websites that you mentioned are really reliable and professional and I do agree with you that Noodle List is number one now for search. It is my pleasure to be working with you on.
    Hesham, Egypt

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fun to hear all you've learned, Yuliya!

    Jodi, Oregon

    ReplyDelete